Most people think that the hardest part about building muscle is finding the time to go to the gym on a regular basis. This couldn’t be further from the truth. You can get a full-body workout in the comfort of your home!
Follow these helpful tips the next time you think about ditching your workout.
FUEL YOUR BODY TO ACHIEVE YOUR FITNESS GOALS
No matter how much you exercise, nutrition ultimately determines the fate of your goals. If you predominantly eat meals that are high in refined sugar and salt, it will be harder to get the results you are striving for. Balanced and nutritious meals are a huge step in the right direction. If you don't know where to start, try tracking your macros! This will give your body the correct building blocks and energy it needs to gain and maintain healthy muscles based on your weight, circumstances, and goals.
Since you will be losing more sweat than you normally would watching TV on the couch, don’t forget to keep your body properly hydrated. The average adult body is made of about 60 percent water, so hydrating your body with enough water and water-based fruits and vegetables is crucial. Infused waters with fruits and natural herbs, lemon water, and hot herbal teas are just a few easy ways to hydrate.
THE COMMERCIAL BREAK WORKOUT
Not everybody has time for long training sessions. But, you can take time during TV commercial breaks to fit in a quick and intense workout.
Be sure to stretch and maintain proper form (to avoid injuries) during each exercise. Once you feel like a workout is too easy, change it up a bit, add more reps, or take smaller breaks in between reps to safely build your endurance levels. Here are just a few exercises that will help you build muscles without a gym membership.
- Chin-ups are perfect for building your back, shoulder, and bicep muscles. You can do this on the monkey bars at your local park, or (for the sake of staying indoors) you can buy a pull-up bar for your home. This exercise forces many of your muscles to work together pull yourself up. Start in a dead hang position with straight elbows. The palms of your hands should face towards you, and keep your chest up, shoulders back, and have a tight core. Use this technique to pull yourself up, until your chest hits the bar, and then lower yourself back down. Do as many reps as you can until your muscles are exhausted, but take short breaks when needed.
- A press-up (more commonly known as a push-up) is a bodyweight exercise that works out your chest, triceps, and shoulder muscles. It is performed in a prone position while raising and lowering your body by using your arms. With multiple variations of press-ups, this exercise is perfect for building upper body strength at any level of your exercise journey.
- The Spiderman plank crunch reaches your entire core. It starts by positioning your body in a traditional plank pose—shoulders over wrists— while your body remains perfectly straight. Bring your right knee towards your right elbow, and then return to plank—that’s one rep. Do 10 reps on each side.
- Mountain climbers are great when you are looking for a full-body, abdominal, and cardio workout. They are pretty similar to the Spiderman plank crunch, butcan be more intense. Start in the traditional plank position (don’t forget to engage your core), bring your right knee towards your chest, with your toes off the ground. Return to starting position and switch legs. Keep this process going until you feel like you are running in place. Do this exercise for one minute at a time, without a break, for the best results.
- Squat jumps are the perfect workout to build strong lower-body and quadricep muscles. Start by standing up straight and your feet shoulder-width apart. Squat down to the point where your upper thighs are parallel to the floor or lower, keep your hips back, your back straight, your head facing forward while exhaling as you jump upwards as high as you can. Once your feet hit the floor, repeat the process without stopping for a break. Continue this for 45-60 seconds.
Wearing the correct workout gear can be just as important as the workout itself. Online shopping for women’s andmen’s gym clothing makes it easy. With the click of your mouse, you can be geared up to tackle anything.
No matter what, there are no excuses when it comes to achieving the body you’ve always wanted. No one else is in charge of your body but you! Maintain a nutritious diet, drink plenty of water, stretch, exercise with proper form, and wear gear that keeps you safe and comfortable.
About the Author
Cristina Nika is a blogger from Sydney who likes to get lost in the world of fashion, beauty and healthy lifestyle. She is a frequent guest blogger as well as the regular author on High Style Life, has an insight in variety of subjects and strong interest in blogging about it. Constantly in search of love and beauty and finding it in different places every time.